Call for papers for the Gendered Cultures in Platform Economies: Entertainment, Expertise and Online Selfhood conference
Apply by June 9th, 2023
The Horizon 2020 project EUMEPLAT – European Media Platforms: assessing positive and negative externalities for European Culture is launching a call for papers for the Gendered Cultures in Platform Economies: Entertainment, Expertise and Online Selfhood conference to be held in Lisbon on November 20th and 21st, 2023.
The conference, hosted by ISCTE – Instituto Universitário de Lisboa, will explore gender in the context of expert entertainment cultures in platform economics.
The Organising Committee is looking for 250-word abstracts in the following themes:
- Optimizing gender and sexuality
- Optimizing womanhood and motherhood
- Life coaches, self-help gurus and self-curating
- Manosphere, pick up artists and new masculinities
- Prank videos and sexism
- Queer identities between entrepreneurialism and empowerment
- ‘How-to-Succeed’ guides and cultures
- Growing plants and pets
- The performance of gender in animal videos (cuteness/ strength)
- Confidence culture and the psy-industries
- Feel-good economy, therapeutic cultures and neo-spiritualism
- The gendered self as a project and work of art
- Fitness, beauty and the body
- Discipline and self-restraint
- Amateur and professional labour
- Individualized gendered practices Vs. collective mobilization
The deadline to submit abstracts at email@example.com is June 9th, 2023.
More information on the conference and the call for papers are available here.